To expand on a different thread on the risks of doing demos, it is well worth noting that demoing certainly isn’t the only form of gambling a composer faces.
For example there is:
- Hiring a publicist with no guarantee of the results.
- Buying equipment without knowing if you will get a return on your investment.
- Investing in education without any insurance it will land you any work.
- Working on projects without knowing how they will turn out or be received.
- Investing in relationships with collaborators without knowing how the bond will go and where that person is heading and whether they will take you along.
- Hiring employees and teammates without really knowing how it will ultimate pan out.
- Creating marketing materials without any assurance they will yield results.
- Making yourself vulnerable for rejection with no promise things will go the way you would like them to.
What are other gambles composers take?