Imaging you a filmmaker choosing a composer. You go to the SHOW YOUR OWN VIDEO thread on this forum and listen to ALL of the 100+ videos posted here.
You divide what you listen to into 5 lists:
1. NO WAY.
4. GOOD, BUT NOT GREAT
5. OH MY GOD, I MUST HIRE THIS PERSON IMMEDIATELY!
Now count how many you have on each of these lists. Share the totals for each list with us, but definitely NOT the names of the composers.
A FEW JUDGING GUIDELINES:
1. You are judging each piece in the context of its own genre. Comedies scores are judge compared to the world of comedy scores, etc.
2. You are NOT judging these scores relative to each other. You are judging them relative to the world of scores out in the world. Probably best not to compare to the absolute best or the worst out there but relative to what one would realistically expect out in the real, professional universe.
In addition to your tallies, please take note of the following and share with us:
1. How long did it take you to sit down and watch over 100 videos?
2. Did you watch them all the way through? If not, why not? How much would you watch?
3. What was it like watch over 100 videos?
4. How easy/hard was it to remember those 100 videos?
5. What might it be like for a filmmaker to watch that many videos?
6. What makes the more memorable videos memorable? What makes others less memorable?
7. How many of the videos would lead to you hiring that composer over established composers who have scored projects with scores you already really like?