I’m curious how many of you here are:
1) actively working in both concert and film music worlds
2) finding that the crossover between concert and film is profitable
3) finding that working in both is easy to balance OR hard to juggle
4) finding that working in film music makes you a better composer for concert, or vice versa? Or both?
5) Finding that you land new film or concert gigs because of success in one or the other?
What merits do you see in pursuing both? What pitfalls?
It seems more rare today that Composers for Visual Media are ALSO successful writers in the concert world, unlike many of the guys who started the other way around in the early days of film.
Do you see a trend moving back to this model? Is there merit in being branded as a “Composer for Visual Media” or a “Concert Composer” rather than just a “Composer”?
- Image Source: music.yale.edu